Parent Qualifying Courses
Christian Heritage Parent Qualifying Course
What Is a PQC?
According to the Washington State Home-based Instruction Law, parents may homeschool their own children if:
One parent has 45 college quarter credits (or its equivalent, 30 semester credits),
Or if they are “supervised by a certificated person,”
Or if they are “deemed sufficiently qualified” by the local superintendant of schools
Or if they have completed a course in home-based education through “a post-secondary institution or vocational/technical institute.” (quotes from HSLDA Summary of WA Homeschool Law)
Cascade Bible College (www.idicollege.org) is sponsoring the Christian Heritage “Homeschooling Start to Finish” Parent Qualifying Course and will issue diplomas to those who complete it.
So What’s the Difference between the “Homeschooling Start to Finish” Seminar & the PQC?
The PQC requires one or both parents to:
Participate in the entire 10 hour “Homeschooling Start to Finish” Seminar.
Read and write brief summaries of two helpful books on home-based discipleship, chosen from the provided list of reading options and due within 2 months of taking the seminar.
In addition, PQC participants will benefit from many valuable resources provided as part of the course.
By contrast, Seminar Only registrants attend the seminar and receive helpful handouts but have no course requirements, receive fewer free resources, and receive no certificate of completion.
NOTE: While it may be helpful to do so, a PQC NEED NOT BE COMPLETED BEFORE BEGINNING TO HOMESCHOOL.
Wondering about Parent Qualifying Courses?
- First, carefully read the WA State Homeschool Law summary to see if you need to look into qualifying courses. Note that if one parent has 45 college work credit hours (in any field or school), these courses are not necessary.
- Next, thoroughly research the options and choose a course that best fits your needs. Each has its own perspectives and content. Some are geared for the Christian homeschooler, others are not. And some of them may actually exist to influence parents away from independent, home-based discipleship toward academies with “professional” teachers. Avoid such courses.
NEW! Christian Heritage Parent Qualifying Course
Christian Heritage is now offering its Home-Based Instruction Parent Qualifying Course entitled “Homeschooling Start-to-Finish”
- 10 hours of onsite instruction & discussion plus several off site assignments to be completed within six months of final onsite class date.
- Instructors: Susan Bradrick & Mary Craig
- 2015 Dates & Locations
- June 5-6 – Ellensburg, WA at Kittitas Community Church
- June 27-28 – Spokane, WA at Reformation Community Church
- See our “Homeschooling Start-to-Finish” page for topics, cost, registration, and more.